A New Terminal to Benefit All of North Texas
Over 2,000 Parking Spaces
Expanding into Commercial Air Service
State-of-the-art amenities and convenience coming to the region
McKinney is uniquely positioned to reach a desirable customer base, offering convenience to the region and competition in the market that will ultimately benefit residents of McKinney, Collin County, and all of North Texas.
- Initial airline discussions began in late 2019, resulting in commercial air carrier interest
- 12 daily departures expected in the initial year, 18 daily departures by 2040
- Research indicates 75% of surrounding travelers would consider McKinney National Airport, regardless of the carrier, if competitive direct flights are offered
Facility offers enhanced passenger experience
A planned, sustainable commercial air service terminal offers a transportation alternative to the large and medium hub airports within the Dallas/Fort Worth area. If approved by the voters, funding for the project is proposed to come from several sources, including General Obligation bonds, federal grants, and low-interest federal transportation infrastructure loans. With an initial project investment of approximately $300 million, project highlights include:
- 144,000 square foot terminal
- Four passenger gates
- 15-acre aircraft apron
- 2,000 parking spaces
- Taxiway C (Phase 1)
- Click here to view the facility renderings
Preliminary Site Plan
Development will take place on the east side of the airport
- TxDOT has selected the alignment east of the airport as its preferred option for the Spur 399 extension
- A six to eight lane freeway with frontage roads is proposed
- Spur 399 will improve connectivity between the eastern portion of Collin County and destinations south of McKinney
- Learn more about the TxDOT Spur 399 extension at www.keepitmovingdallas.com/US380EIS
The Expansion Process and Timeline
The McKinney City Council created a special committee and appointed committee members to consider a May 2023 bond election. The bonding authority focused on improvements and projects at McKinney National Airport, including a new commercial air service terminal building. The committee made their recommendation to the Council in January 2023.
An environmental assessment started in 2022 analyzed the potential environmental impacts to resources such as water, wildlife and habitat, culture, air quality, noise, surface transportation, residences, and community populations.
The City of McKinney will host open house events to give residents and community stakeholders an overview of the preliminary results from the environmental studies underway for the planned commercial air service terminal at McKinney National Airport.
Two meetings will be held:
- 6–8 p.m. March 23, Old Settler’s Recreation Center, 1201 E. Louisiana St
Click here to view the March 23 McKinney Preliminary Environmental Studies Open House Presentation
- 6–8 p.m. April 19, Cockrill Middle School, 1351 S. Hardin Blvd
An overview presentation will be given at 6:15 p.m. Residents and community stakeholders can visit informational tables following the presentation to learn more about the study components. Participants will have opportunities to provide feedback and can come and go anytime during the event.
A public hearing for the draft Environmental Assessment will be held before the final document is submitted to the Federal Aviation Administration and TxDOT Aviation, as an additional opportunity for public feedback.